20101004

Looking Back

Piglet and Steven head south
 Le cerveau est contrariant. Il oublie bien trop vite ce qu'on a besoin de se souvenir et ne se souvient que trop bien ce qu'on a besoin d'oublier.

The brain is a contrarian. It forgets all too quickly what we need to remember and remembers all too well what we need to forget.

I began blogging 5 years ago to work my way through my midlife crisis and attempt to find myself. I can now honestly say I am still lost! But I learned a little about myself.

Nasturtium in my garden
September 2010
My midlife crisis has been backward. Just as everyone in my peer group is becoming unsettled and breaking from obligations, I long for something or someone to call home. Many of my peers, recently divorced and/or with children old enough to spread their own wings, are reasserting their independence. I, who have been fiercely independent my whole life, never married, no kids, now yearn for a solid anchor point. Unfortunately, I still make the same mistakes: I fall hardest for the unattainable, and I think that will always be the case. The heart wants what it wants and mine always seems to want the impossible.


I've always been an oddball, though, so it should be no surprise that my midlife crisis is also atypical. Not that I didn't have fun. Even I did Burning Man in the late 1980s. But it was different then, smaller, full of creative flow, special. Now it's a professionally managed event, a spectacle for the masses that throng to it now. Too many people for me.
Japanese Iris in my garden
September 2010
So now I seek stability, but it eludes, even with regard to simple things. I will soon lose my faithful, ever-vigilant companion. My housemate is moving to Southern California, so of course, Piglet will join him sometime in the coming months. I will miss them both, but mostly I'll miss my quadripedal companion who accompanies me everywhere within walking distance.

I dread finding a new housemate. My previous housemate told me after he moved in that he couldn't pay rent, then stayed 3 years on the vague promise that he would pay his debt in full when he found work. I also worked my last job for free for a year on the vague promise my pay would be backfilled if/when the company received funding. As my financial situation descends into desperation, I hope to break free of being a sucker. But even more, I don't want to take advantage of others' kindness and fail to pay obligations I may accrue. I fear becoming my ex roommate more than I fear remaining a pushover.

As I type this in the wee hours of a sleepless night, the first winds of autumn are rattling my windows and shaking my trees and they sound fairly strong. They remind me that my neighbor's walnut tree, which is slowly dying, is leaning precariously over my garage. Maybe this is a good week to prune it back...

9 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so sorry you're losing your roommate and Piglet! Things like that can be so disconcerting, almost like an amical divorce if you're really good friends. Any chance of shared custody of Piglet - like you get him every other month??

    I can only imagine how awful it would be to find a new roommate, especially in these times with so many wackoos out there. Be careful! And no more freeloaders!

    Worked for free? Seriouosly? No more, I hope! What kind of work are you looking for?

    My prescription for you is to go to the shelter and get another dog as soon as piglet is gone. It won't help you find a job, but it'll give you a warm companion on those sleepless windy nights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the universe has a way of giving us exactly what we don't want and denying or taking away what we do want. There are times when I feel like it's some horrible test that I don't know the answer to and keep receiving a big red "F" in response to my efforts.

    Stability in anything seems to be hard to come by these days for almost anyone I know. I still struggle to obtain a better paying job to support my father and me until he gets a better paying job. The last relationship I had that made it beyond the first date was almost two years ago and barely made it to a month. I think I'm being forced to grow as a person through these experiences before I'm get to share my life with someone, but then my circumstances are far different from yours. You have much more to contend with and I do not envy you in the least.

    You have a strength and greatness in you that will let you push through these circumstances and come out exactly where you should be in the end, even if it's not where you expected. I don't see you as a person to put anyone else in the position that your ex roommate put you in just because you have been there. As for being a pushover, I think you can overcome that. I hope you find the stability you seek in all aspects of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They will be about 600 miles away, Linda, so it will be difficult to dog-share. And I am still relatively nomadic (and poor) at this point, so I really can't bring in another dog.

    For work, I'm hoping to find another start-up to manage. I do business operations, the day-to-day non revenue producing (but necessary) activities that entrepreneurs don't like to deal with.

    I don't feel anything approaching strong or great, CM. But I hope you're right about me ending up where I should be. And I hope that where I should be isn't completely unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel for you...but I can't reach you!

    Anyhoo, get the money up front.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is definitely sound advice, Tim. Something I need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, what a beautiful post. Even though, heartbreaking for you in many ways. Never give up - you now that. Seems history tells us that often in hard economic times, many of the most successful business ventures begin. I hope that you find what you seek, also.

    Change - always messes with us. Twists our hearts. But then, isn't that how we grow? Even if we're not sure what we might be growing. I'm rambling. Take good care, kobico. All works out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Julie. It's funny, "they" never tell us that the painful part of growing stays with us throughout our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post is inspirational and sad. I have been married for 28 and half years. But I don't feel like it's stable at all. My husband brought too many ghost from his childhood with him. I tend to be a doormat which means, everyone else gets what they want.

    As a writer, I tell myself, this is food for my craft. But heartaches come in many degrees and we, (I) can get wrapped up in what we wished we'd done. Our choices define us. That must be a cliche by now, but oh so true.

    I wish all the best for you. Thank you for your comment on my blog. The photographs are beautiful.
    Nancy
    N. R. Williams, fantasy author

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the visit, N.R. I admire your dedication to your husband, in spite of his ghosts. That particular quality is becoming ever rarer, it seems.

    As a Bus Ops consultant, perhaps I should take advantage of my unsettled circumstances to focus on work as my anchor.

    ReplyDelete