20101011

After Dark Explorations

I may be out of paid employment, but I'm keeping busy volunteering in non-profit development, writing grants and organizing fundraising events for the Homeless Cat Network, an all-volunteer cat rescue group. But even unemployed volunteers need an occasional break. Last week's entertainment was an evening at the Exploratorium, a hands-on science museum. 

The Explo organizes After Dark, a monthly adult-oriented after-hours program. The series is well-planned and executed, with themed exhibits, films, lectures and artwork interspersed between the regular exhibits. And yes, there are two or three cash bars brought in specifically for the events. This month's theme was Alternative Energy Exploration, and featured alternatives in transportation, agriculture, and energy generation.

The SOHH Project, a "pedal-powered vehicle with motor assist," was conceived of by an 8th grader (and his father). The batteries can be charged via a solar panel on a sunny day or standard household 110v current on less-sunny days.
My photo does not do the cycle justice, so please visit the project website for the full story and more photos. I also visited the Flying Pig, which had been built on a Super Beetle chassis, and two modified Miatas, which were near and dear to my heart because I own a Miata (unmodifed, though). I will grant that plug-in sustainability is ultimately affected by the fuel source of the power plant, but hope in the long-run the utilities will move to more sustainable options and we will become more judicious in our consumption.

Going off the grid, I stopped by the Bamboo Bike Studio exhibit. They sell kits and help you build your own bamboo-framed push bike. The bamboo does look very nice (sorry, I didn't get a photo). It's a bit out of my budget right now, though. Plus, I tend to leave my bike out in the rain, something that my chromaly frame handles very well.

On the agricultural side, Kijiji Grows is an aquaponics consultancy based in Oakland, California. Aquaponics differs from hydroponics in that it is nearly a permaculture system. It includes an aquacultural element that requires you to feed the fish, so the loop is not entirely closed. After running by the plant roots, the water cycles into a fish pond, and then through a filtration system containing bacteria which convert the fish waste into usable components for the plants.
Halfway through the event I queued up to sample sweetwater oysters from Hog Island oyster farm. I'm not normally a huge oyster fan. I don't dislike them, but I don't go out of my way to eat them. The sweetwaters are relatively small, with a mild, almost sweet, taste and silky texture. I found myself wanting a nice, crisp Sauvignon Blanc or Sémillon with them, and I'm not typically a white wine drinker, either.

The night's speakers included lectures on Hydrogen and Wind energy, as well as a hands-on presentation of solar, wind, and hydro electricity generation. Unfortunately, I cannot recall what this man is demonstrating. I had to order my drink early on so I could drive home later and I hit this lecture at my high point. My apologies!
The only disappointment was an issue beyond the museum's control. Solar Sunflowers, designed by Poetic Kinetics and managed by Black Rock Solar, were inoperative. The designers and/or project managers couldn't deliver a working product on schedule, and could barely manage to assemble the defective colossi they brought. They were still nice to look at as static sculptures but didn't really fit into the evening's theme that way.

All in all, it was a nice 4 hour diversion while I took a break from fundraiser preparations. As I headed home to resume my work, I saw several people strolling the path across from the Palace of Fine Arts, which is beautifully lit at night, enjoying the relatively balmy autumn evening. I only wish I could have taken more time to take a better photo of it...

19 comments:

  1. I would have enjoyed this too. As it is, I catch up on a lot of advancements via the History channel and the Discovery channel. We own a Dodge Caravan that runs on E-85. I am proud of that, it's my big contribution along with fluorescent lighting throughout the house.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Nancy
    N. R. Williams, fantasy author

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting evening! And I'm glad to know more about this side of you, the volunteer for non-profits, etc. Hopefully your reputation in volunteering will lead to paid work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I wish KY would catch up with the rest of the country. I long for adult culture. :(

    Wonderful post and I've heard of most of these, totally into alternatives! I'm going today to pick up my composite bin from the city. FREE!

    Here's hoping we both find employment soon :D
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even broke it is easy to find entertainment. I like to drive in the desert.

    I found a pond in the desert that someone stocked with fish. I threw potato chips into the water, and hords of fish (some large) splashed to the surface in a feeding frenzy. I could have happily camped there for dayz, but my world was calling (Vegas Baby!).

    I am amazed how many windmills are going up in the Columbia Gorge (between Washington and Oregon). The technology still needs much improvement, but it's a start.

    Wally

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a television, N.R.! Well, my cousin gave me one several months ago, but it has no reception because I refuse to pay for cable or satellite, so it sits collecting dust. Maybe someone will give me an antenna.

    The volunteering is a catch-22, Linda. I may get a few brownie points for being philanthropically-oriented, but employers tend to discount volunteer work with regard to being applicable to a marketable work skill or even as time employed.

    I will bet that even museums in Kentucky run after-hours programs, Jules. A good program manager will hire interesting guests and exhibits, making it a combination cultural, educational and social event, which can be attractive to a wider audience than focusing on one niche. And bringing those people in the door can result in more publicity and sales for the museum.

    I have to admit my compost pile is too large for any manufactured bin, so I keep it hidden in the depths of my back garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (and thanks for the well wishes -- I hope we both find something very soon, too)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops, I was responding to the other comments when you commented, Wally, so I missed you. I can't afford the gas to drive around for entertainment, but there's generally enough to do in walking or cycling range for me.

    Haha, fish with a penchant for junk food. Only in America could we have diabetic, obese fish.

    One of the speakers mentioned that birds being slaughtered by windmills is a common issue with wind farms. I don't know if he mentioned a solution, though. I have noticed the design of the windmills across the Bay has changed since I was a kid. Maybe that's one reason.

    One of my ex bosses is doing consulting work on solar energy generation for the Saudis. Makes me wonder if the price of oil is going to go up...

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have many windmills around here and they are really a problem for bats - somehow they disturb their orientation. So the bats get beheaded, they don't recognize the windmills' wings.

    And now this German is wondering if there are really obese, diabetic fish in America ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm... I'll bet the blade movement confuses their sonar. Poor bats.

    Haha, I am guessing it is possible for fish to become diabetic, as I'm fairly sure they have both liver and pancreas, so I would guess they secrete insulin and their muscle cells have insulin receptors and their cells use glucose. But I'm guessing also that incidence would be rare and a fish developing it would die relatively quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was wrong, sorry, it's not an orientation problem, but it is about different air pressure around the blades.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no, that must mean they get sucked up into them, with no possible way for them to fly against the current... poor bats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, it's even worse: their lungs collapse, barotrauma. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoah, that's a pretty powerful pressure differential. poor bats :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. On the issue of chasing windmills, it used to be that the small bladed windmills were bad for birds. In a blur there would just be feathers. However, the huge windmill blades of today turn so much slower that they are bird friendly.

    Now I never thought about disorientated bats getting whirled about. Being a writer, when I think of bats, I think of vampires. I'm picturing one of those "Twilight" vamps getting skewered by a windmill (through the heart?).

    I think we may need to do an Environmental Impact Statement on the subject of vamps and windmills. Kobico, could you please write up a grant proposal for me? A two year study of the subject should do me just fine. Write funding for an assistant, too, please.

    That would be an "After Dark Exploration" that could be fun.

    Wally

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is Twilight is a TV show?

    Maybe I should include funding for kevlar neck armor and pointy wooden stakes in the project. Maybe some sort of EMF protection, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I took my children to the Exploratorium when we visited San Fran a few years ago. It was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad you enjoyed the Explo, too, Elizabeth. I am a big fan of hands-on museums, but I'm guessing children are even bigger fans, since everywhere else they go the docents have fits if they accidentally breathe too heavily in the general direction of the exhibits.

    Speaking of museums, I don't know how often you visit your husband's family in Switzerland, but just over the mountains a tad, the new Centre Pompidou opened in Metz this year. I regret moving away before I had a chance to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm going back to the first paragraph - the Homeless Cat Network. Years ago I volunteered for the local nature center. We had a large festival every year and I organized all the exhibitors. Everyone from the Archeology Society to the Endangered Cat Network and Rabbit Rescue. Had no clue prior to that of the passion of those volunteering for these groups. I salute you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Julie. It is a dedicated little group, all volunteers (even the board members aren't paid).

    ReplyDelete