20100111

More Dreams

Ocean Beach, San Francisco, CA
November 2009

Two and a half years ago, I could only remember two dreams I'd had in my lifetime.  Now, I have two more to add to the list.  Considering my past blissful ignorance of my dreams, to begin remembering them now is unsettling.  Even more disturbing is that the last two dreams occurred within two months of each-other.

Other people seem to be able to remember a chain of events in their dreams, but all I have is a quick snapshot.  In the first dream, I am on the beach with my friend, and we are running hand-in-hand away from something.  In the second, the same friend and I are again on a beach, but this time, he is carrying me and I am crying, not because of him, but because of some other unexplained thing.

I could only conclude that since I have suddenly remembered two dreams that my subconscious wants me to deal with something pressing, so I summoned my google-fu (thanks, Martina, it's a good word!) and found dreammoods.com.  Looking up the recalled elements of the dreams in the Dream Dictionary, I have come up with my own simplified amateur assessment of myself...

I'm avoiding a decision and I feel I am burdening someone, which has created negative emotions in me that I repress when I am awake.  And I am anxious about losing touch with my friend who possesses some quality that I covet, maybe because it will be key to overcoming my indecision.

... my dreams have pretty much stated the obvious, since I have been avoiding job hunting and therefore made myself a burden on my father, who should be enjoying his retirement instead of worrying over whether his kid is going to make it through life okay.  All I can say about this is that it was a good way to waste a few hours of looking for work!

5 comments:

  1. I think dreams stem from that same creative process we use to make a poem or write a song. Our minds gather disparate elements--a person we saw today, a situation we're dealing with, a snippet from a song we heard, and combines them to make a little mind movie where we are the star. It just proves that everyone is creative, but unfortunately for some, they only tap into that wellspring when they're asleep !

    Does any of it have any meaning? Hey, I'm still working on the meaning of life--much less trying to make sense of my dreams !

    This came to me in my dream last night: What would you call a crooked politician's effort to get elected? "SCAMPAIGN"

    I used to not remember my dreams either, but lately I'm recovering parts of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a vivid dreamer and always have been. In fact in the rare occurences when I wake up and can't remember my dream(s) I feel really not that good - something is missing. I like sleeping because there are so many adventures waiting for me ... ;-)

    Now - what are you going to do next? Seems like you agree with yourself about the meaning of your two dreams ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "crooked politician"
    Isn't that redundant, Tim? Mind movie, though, I like that.

    Million dollar question, Martina. I need to find direction, I think. Job offers have always just come to me, so I've always just followed the offers. Now that I actually have to search and apply for jobs, it's thrown me a bit out of my element.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too. I only once in my life applied for a job and I found everything (praising myself, dressing up for the interview, answering strange questions) very exhausting and surreal. Since I did this just for the sake of experience I booked it under this category - i.e. experience.

    Sorry, nothing that is really helpful from me, :-(. Duh ... .

    ReplyDelete