20111016

Semper Fideles

I wrote this entry one year ago in anticipation of my housemate taking his pets with him when he and his girlfriend moved down to So Cal to be closer to his ailing mother. It has been in my drafts, waiting for that fateful day when he returned to take them with him after they had settled into their new place... and that has not come to pass. Rather than let this languish in my drafts or delete it, I thought I'd post it now, in honor of MY dog.
 - - - - - - - - - - -
It seems that the cold has arrived with the month of November, a chill which didn't exist just a few days ago. While I sit at my desk, my housemate's dog lies at my feet, protecting me from the cold and anything else that may threaten me.

Piglette has been with us since September 2007, when my housemate adopted her from WKODIT (What Kind of Dog Is That?) rescue. Having been through at least two homes and a kennel, she was a tad uncertain and insecure her first months here. Being left alone made her nervous, as did bringing her anywhere in the car.

When she decided that she was in a stable place and wouldn't be abandoned again, she blossomed, and has returned more love and faithfulness than she has ever received. She is always at my side, always happy just to be near me, always protective, always wanting just to make me happy.

That's the wonderful thing about dogs -- you can always count on them to be there for you through thick and thin, to lift your spirits when you feel down, to be your faithful companion. Dogs do not know the effort you make to spend real time with them, but they always value and appreciate the time you set aside to spend with them as though they do know. People are more like cats, they tend to come and go as the mood or opportunity suits them.

Piglette is technically my housemate's dog, but she and I have formed a strong bond in the last three years. I tend to be the one who feeds her and cleans up after her, and she usually sleeps with me. So, I anticipate that when my housemate and his girlfriend move to Southern California in the next few months that giving up my faithful companion will be difficult, if not heartbreaking, for both of us. How do you take a dog that has been abandoned multiple times from the only consistent home it has known and not expect it to feel abandoned once again? And how do you abandon the most faithful, consistent companion you have ever known?

19 comments:

  1. Piglette is a big ball of love (snd barking...). She's a sweety. Even though she makes me crazy sometimes, I do love that dog too. I didn't realize you'd had her in your house since 2007. That's 4 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get this right, Piglette is now your dog? And what other pets are there around?
    And yes, dogs are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOUR dog now, indeed. I can't imagine your old roommate would even consider taking her away from you. Put a bar across the door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Piglette loves you, too, Craig, even though you make her sleep on the floor.

    There are also four cats in and around the house, Martina. And raccoons that raid the cat food bowls outside. Big raccoons.

    Ha, I don't need to bar the door, Julie, as Craig mentioned, Piglette's quite loud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Through my jobless journey that I continue to this day, I know in my heart I would not be making it without my dogs. And like you I have had to learn to share my bed.

    Can't beat an animals love. And I have had a pet raccoon. :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. What a dilemma to have been in. These last two questions really got to me. I hope events turned so it's all good. Attachments to animals are often not what you expected. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go figure, Piglette got into a tangle with a raccoon tonight, Jules. Luckily, she's current on her vaccinations, and it seems that neither dog nor raccoon are worse for wear other than a few scratches.

    That's true, Helena. I never intended to have pets, and somehow I have taken on responsibility for the welfare of Piglette AND four cats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can still remember when my mother's dog was pregnant and I received my dog unexpectedly. My mother was keeping her at my house at the time and out of the six, my mother's dog picked one and set it in front of my bedroom door. I have had her for almost 14 years now and can't imagine having survived that time without her. It's amazing what a pet can bring to our lives.

    I am glad that Piglette survived the scuffle with the raccoon with minor injury. May she be around many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Lindy Lou. I love that your mother's dog chose your dog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! Raccoons steal catfood at my house. I suspect they would like to steal a cat, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They steal cat food at my house, too, Walter, but they've reached somewhat of a truce with my outdoor cats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm happy for you and Piglette, that she can stay settled down with you! And you could do worse than having an affectionate canine sharing your bed...I've done a lot worse, from time to time !

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've done a lot worse from time to time, too, Tim!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Humor so dry, cactus grows next to it.

    Yes, a warm and cuddly little fuzz-ball under the covers is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Piglette doesn't snuggle under the covers, Walter. However, contrary to my earliest comment on this entry, Craig no longer makes her sleep on the floor. In fact, now that it's winter, she snuggles up between us, where she's toasty warm!

    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Merry Christmas (and Happy New Year) to you, too, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Speaking of pets . . . Aunt Marge was abducted by my new pet iguana hiding in the barn.

    I think the iguana is really an alien, but I do not know for sure. It is really a good liar. We thought that Marge was the liar, always cracking those jokes about a talking lizard in her backyard and a spaceship in her barn. It turns out she kept a straight face because she was not joking.

    Whe she disappeared, I flew out to see if I could find anything. I have always been good about finding things, but finding Aunt Marge has been real hard. I have not found her yet, but I figured I would write all this down. Better if I did it all right away. I keep a note pad by my bed.

    It could really be aliens who got her, because of the spaceship in the barn and all the oil stains on the grass. I asked the police to test for radiation, but they were too busy. I suspect the police might not have an open mind about aliens. I think either the aliens left in the spaceship, or the iguana ate her.

    So, I would like some advice: if I eat the iguana, is it cannibalism?
    Edit your post:
    To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
    My Aunt Marge was abducted by an iguana hiding in the barn.

    I think the iguana is really an alien, but I do not know for sure. It is really a good liar. We thought that Marge was the liar, always cracking those jokes about a talking lizard in her backyard and a spaceship in her barn. It turns out she kept a straight face because she was not joking.

    Whe she disappeared, I flew out to see if I could find anything. I have always been good about finding things, but finding Aunt Marge has been real hard. I have not found her yet, but I figured I would write all this down. Better if I did it all right away. I keep a note pad by my bed.

    It could really be aliens who got her, because of the spaceship in the barn and all the oil stains on the grass. I asked the police to test for radiation, but they were too busy. I suspect the police might not have an open mind about aliens. I think either the aliens left in the spaceship, or the iguana ate her.

    So, I would like some advice: if I eat the iguana, is it cannibalism?

    ReplyDelete
  18. You don't want to eat the iguana, Walter, I hear they don't taste very good. Plus, if it's an alien, eating it might be bad for your well-being. :)

    Heather, I do not generally respond to requests from strangers. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete