20110119

After a Long Break

I believe that this is the longest break from blogging I have ever taken. For the first time in several years, I've had nothing to share with the world. We're already a few weeks into it (and it's early for the lunar version), but happy new year!

When I last posted in December, I was painting. I painted the bedroom my housemate vacated, and while I was at it, the main bathroom. Both rooms were in dire need of love. I'm eying the kitchen now, although that really needs much more than just paint.
The room, painted and ready for an occupant 
My grandfather planted the Meyer lemons outside the window nearly 60 years ago

I have been hoping to find a new housemate through friends, but no one wants to live in the boring 'burbs! I'm contemplating craigslist, although I have bad luck with craigslist, so I'm putting that off for as long as possible.
Fresh paint in the bathroom, too.
Yes, that's doggie shampoo, it's too cold this time of year to bathe Piglet outside!

I'm still technically jobless, but I had a few interviews, which is an improvement over the big, fat nothing I was getting before. I picked up some part-time temporary admin work just to get by for the next few months, while giving me time to keep searching for something longer-term. I still dream of turning ideas into things that work, and for the right idea, I'd go just about anywhere.

In my spare time, I've become more active with the grassroots animal welfare group I've volunteered with since 2003. Instead of volunteering at the program level, I am now helping with their first-ever formal Development plan. Given my work experience, the fact that I have done some nonprofit development work, and the fact that it can be difficult to find volunteers for the less-fun background work (most volunteers want, understandably, to be hands-on with the animals) I think that is where my efforts will make the biggest difference.

Somewhere in the fray, I was asked to sit on the Board. I wasn't thrilled about taking on that responsibility, particularly since fundraising is already demanding, especially at the volunteer level. But I am not good at saying no, so I was voted on last week. I am already preparing my letter that states my intention to step down at the end of my term.

Confession: philanthropically speaking, education is my true passion. While I support animal welfare, environmental and social justice causes, I truly believe that education is the key, that an educated population is aware of its faults and has the tools to fix them. I hope one day to devote time to educational issues, but I haven't yet found where someone with my skill set can work most effectively in that arena. If anyone has ideas on that front, I'm all ears (or eyes, in this case).

18 comments:

  1. I feel your pain my friend. 3 possible contacts for work, yet no work. I understand the ability to not say "No" as well.

    I'm still sort of confused on your exact background but it sounds like a background the grassroots, lobbyist sect, to change education needs. Not sure where you would contact someone though.

    Prayers and best wishes my friend :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  2. My background is eclectic, Jules, so it's not easy to pigeon-hole me. I don't know if I'm lobbyist material, though, I can still be naive about people and what they will do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're back! I'm still trying to catch up with everybody after my absence, so it's good for me that some of you guys also took a break!

    I'm sorry you can't seem to find your niche - I know how frustrating that can be. It would be nice if these things weren't so hard for some of us! I'm a total dunce about where you're particular skills might be useful in education, but if you mean education as in the public school system, Rosaria at sixtyfivenow what would be a good source for ideas as she's involved in community, school and government.

    As for finding a housemate - good grief, don't do craigslist! Having a stranger come in would be terrifying! Surely you know someone who knows someone who knows someone! Be very careful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Linda. I'm still trying to catch up, too, and I have a relatively short reading list!

    It seems like the general consensus is that craigslist is bad. One of my friends actually happened to read this post and may need a place to stay next month, so it may work out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about giving private lessons on what you do best?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bus Ops management? Most people find it really boring, Tim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And so it goes, right? We keep thumping along, but sounds like life is keeping you busy as your talents and passions become more defined. That is progress, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Busy is a generally a good thing, Julie. I just hope this particular busy will be productive in the long-term.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy to hear interviews are finally rolling in. Perhaps your time on the board and your involvement in their development plan will help you get some exposure or lead to new contacts that will eventually lead to a job?

    I do not envy you the roommate hunt at all. When it comes to certain things (such as living space), I do not share well with others. Hopefully someone sane and financially responsible will turn up soon.

    The rooms look wonderful! I'm not allowed to be near paint unless it's primer due to my more...aggressive style of painting. It just doesn't go well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know there's always a risk of not getting along in shared spaces, but I try to minimize that risk as much as possible.

    You know, the great thing about paint is if you don't like the result, you can always paint over it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you left our virtual world again? I miss hearing your "voice" and hope that all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am swamped when I'm in the office, Elizabeth, partly because of the volume of work that needs to be done in the next few months, and partly because there's a learning curve. Running a small company is easier for me than the admin work itself. And then on days off I'm swamped with cat activities. Who knew volunteer work could be such a time sink? Miss you too. I'll be by soon, though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kobico, just rest when you can and take care of yourself. I'm just thankful you have found work and cats that make you happy :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Jules, I hope you're taking care of yourself, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've missed you and now I know why. Do take care.

    I saw a news program probably a year ago and people were connecting with others who were moving to a state for work and just needed to live in a safe environment for awhile. It would have been on NBC that is what we watch.
    Good luck.
    Nancy
    N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Nancy. It's good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bonjour, Kobico!
    I give you permission to jump off the bloggy treadmill once in a while. That's what I do every November and December. Sometimes we have to give our minds a rest so we can fill the wells of our imaginations.
    Please take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just read your comment on my blog and had to come say HI!

    I have missed you my blog friend and was so glad to see your name appear. Hope all is good and life is treating you well. You know I wish you forever sunshine of the soul :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete