20100912

Touched

Life passing by
Waiting for the train
28 August 2010

A countless number of people touch our lives. Some stay with us 'til the end. And some remain only for a moment. I admit to being sentimental and clinging to those whose time to move on has come.

The internet has made it possible for so many more people to touch us than before. Thanks to email and blogging, those I never would have met otherwise have touched my life. As with those I've known face-to-face, some of those relationships have endured and some have waned. And as with those I've known face-to-face, each of those relationships has helped me learn and grow.
Maintaining life
bees collect pollen
on Cirsium vulgare (Onopordum acanthium?)
Canal du juoy, Metz, France, July 2009
But the internet also makes it too easy to maintain those bonds that beg to be liberated. By virtue of status updates and tweets, we maintain tenuous ties indefinitely, and with more people. In one trivial entry of 150 characters or fewer, we keep the lines of communication open with hundreds of people, at least superficially.

But even as I yearn for those communications to be more profound, they can only remain shallow. Even though I know it is better to let go and focus on those who are present or otherwise make real time for me or who have something deeper to offer, I fail to find the strength to turn away completely. And so I continue entering 150 characters or fewer in a vain attempt to make something out of nothing.

11 comments:

  1. My friend this is far from shallow! You speak volumes in this post. I have been thinking of just the same train of thought.

    Thank you for 150 characters :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jules. The internet is a big time sink for me, especially now! I am trying to slowly wean myself away from it, though and limiting my time on social networking sites, which seem to suck up the most time for me. They're like electronic crack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is much of life that is shallow as are many communications on the internet. The profound moments in life, much like your post, I don't think would stand out so or mean as much if we did not have to wade through muck to get to them. Your blog has made me laugh, cry, feel more, and think, stretching me beyond the limits of what I am exposed to where I live. For that I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sort of fascinated by twitter but have to pull away sometimes. Has so-and-so just eaten breakfast? Gosh. Has person-I-shall-never-meet had a cup of tea? Wow. But shallowness invites a splash now and again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, CM. That touches me... and puts tremendous pressure on me!

    Ah, you've been sucked in, too, Jayne! Although I'm more guilty of Facebooking. Most of my contacts don't last very long on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I lived anywhere near you, I'd meet you in a heartbeat! Your posts always move me. And, this is the first time I've seen this new photo of you and I love it! Beautiful! Classy! Yes, the internet is a crazy thing, but what a great creative outlet it is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks MAWB, I'd love to meet you, too! Your posts have made me laugh. And cry. And sometimes, boy do I feel your frustration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes all that can be found of me is my shoes by the computer monitor, as I have been sucked in.

    I just went on vacation to Reno, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Brice Canyon, Jackpot, Salt Lake City, Pendleton, and some undeveloped hot springs in between. At hotels I would cruise the gurest "business computer" waiting in line to get my fix.

    There are worse vices than checking on my imaginary friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am attempting to not be sucked in quite so much these days, Wally. It's been too much of a time sink for me the past few months.

    Hot springs... I'm envious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, very thought provoking! I've refused to do Twitter so far, and have, after a year, tired of Facebook except for a quick check-in now and then. And though I'm still reading posts when I can, I've found that I haven't had the time or energy to post anything myself the last month. And you know what ... the longer you go without posting, the easier it is to forget to post! But I'm not giving it up blogging altogether, because I think it's a time-suck worth the time expended in both reading and writing, as long as one balances it with their 'other' life (family, paying the bills, running a house, etc.)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I value my blogging relationships very highly, too, Linda. The Facebook I'm trying to wean myself from, though, and just visit enough to stay in touch with old acquaintances.

    ReplyDelete