20100906

Random Tomatoes

Oh, the seduction of ripe, juicy tomatoes! Unfortunately, this year's plants have been stunted by the cooler-than-usual weather and the fruits refuse to ripen. Even the Red Siberian plant, which is supposed to be suited to cooler climes, is dinky and only bore a handful of wimpy-looking fruits. The Amish paste plant did grow, but there are white spots on a lot of the fruits which seem to rot before they have a chance to ripen.

Although meager, the tomatoes have been interesting. I grew Stupice for the first time this year, and a significant number either look like two smooshed together or they have a nose. They average about an inch in diameter, but have a "tomatoey" paste tomato taste.


For years, I only grew Little Yellow Pear (yellow, pear-shaped cherry tomato) and San Marzano (paste tomato), saving the seeds from year to year. This year, San Marzano refused to germinate, but two 'Pears survived, yielding fruits about twice as large as usual. One day, I noticed the tops looked like they were turning pinkish instead of their typical yellow. Thinking it was just dirt, I forgot about them. Several days later, it was obvious they were turning red, but were still half yellow-ish green and I picked two to photograph! Since the photograph, they have ripened to full-on red and taste like paste tomatoes. I saved the seeds to see how they turn out next year if I can get them to sprout.

The volunteer tomato turned out to be a cluster tomato, and I had another two spring out of the ground in random places this summer. I'm hoping the weather will stay warm late in the year so I can see what kind of tomatoes they are!

Other than tomatoes, I collected some seeds from the chard and planted seeds of great northern beans, fennel, onion and random salad greens in random places around the garden and promptly forgot where I planted things. Amidst a patch of mâche, I tugged on what I thought was a blade of grass and accidentally pulled out a little garlic bulblet I'd planted for chives. I tried to stick it back into the ground, but I mangled it in the process. Luckily, I have more.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like your garden is identical to mine. Big tomatoes are small, small are big but deformed. My herbs did great though :)

    We always have next year. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. You are one of my earliest followers and still appreciate you :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I already told you how poorly our tomatoes have done, so won't repeat it, except to say that next year we will be visiting our local farmers market or nearby produce stands! That one with the nose is hysterical, but I wonder why they did that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen a tomato with a nose (but I've seen a potato with eyes and a cornstalk with ears!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd forgotten about the herbs, Jules! Mine are still alive and well, too, with the exception of some of the cuttings I took for propagation.

    Even when the vegetable garden was doing well, I frequented the vegetable stands, Linda. I tend to grow the same darn things over and over, so I need the market for variety! As for the noses, I've never grown Stupice before. Maybe that's a common characteristic of them?

    I see lots of snails with mouths, Tim! Bad joke but that's the best I can do on my first cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, I love tomatoes. Are the small ones sweet? I'm impressed with your gardening prowess!

    ~that rebel, Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  6. What have you been doing to your tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfortunately, no sweet tomatoes grew this year, Olivia. I'd been counting on the little pears, which usually produce prolifically, but they're not even pear tomatoes this time.

    No tomatoes were harmed in the making of this blog entry, AB. Maybe they're rebelling this year?

    ReplyDelete
  8. By the way, I'm intrigued by your profile photo - didn't you just put that up recently? What was the occasion? And look at that hair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No occasion, I was fiddling with my camera's settings and didn't have a model who was willing to hold still!

    It did coincide with fundraising efforts for a cat rescue group I volunteer with, though that was unsuccessful. I was trying to sell raffle tickets to my friends and one of them told me he'd buy a book another one of my friends wrote recently if I'd stop bugging him about the raffle tickets!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you turn the top tomato around it looks like it has its thumb up saying 'life is good!' Came over via Jules' blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Jules, I'll hop on by!

    The thumb idea is very clever, Jayne! You should take a crack at the suiseki rock on my Summer Festival post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must say that despite their oddness, those tomatoes -- or at least the way you've photographed them -- look distinctly erotic! At least they're sexy, then, even if they do taste mediocre!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's good to know my tomatoes are sexy... I think! I hope your birthday is filled with happiness, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete