20100613

We Skipped Right Through Spring

Two weeks ago, at the end of May, the rain and cold made one last blast through the Bay Area. Usually by then, the fireplace has been long cleared of the winter's ashes, but at that point, I built one last fire. I definitely prefer being warm. I'm miserable in the cold.  I'm even wretchedly cold when I walk into an air conditioned room in the middle of summer! And speaking of that sunny season, last week, we went straight to it from winter.

My vegetable garden, slow to start due to the long cold snap (and I planted late because I hate grubbing in the garden when it's cold and wet, see previous paragraph), initially breathed a sigh of relief, then wilted a little with the sudden rush of heat! I planted beans on April Fool's day (photo above right), and am so glad I took photos, because the subsequent rains washed out all my handwritten tags (I thought Sharpies were waterproof!) that tell me which variety I planted where. Two months later, the poles are filled with vines (left).

I didn't plant as much as I have in the past, but I have been busy otherwise in the garden, hacking at weeds in the middle yard between the main house and the original house (which is now a giant storage shed), breaking up the hard clay, and laying bricks for a seating area and a little strip of soil (behind the grill) for plants next to the fence. I'm thinking herbs in front with Solanum Jasminoides climbing the fence behind. The seating area will be tested tomorrow (today? Sunday) afternoon, when I have my first guests since I returned home from France almost a year ago. It still needs a lot of work, but I'm making progress, little by little.

14 comments:

  1. Hahaha, this post could have been written by me! Every sentence ... about being cold, about the weather ... only thing is I don't plant beans (not enough space for anything more than some herbs, chili, garlic and a tomato plant).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were very brave tackling a brick patio, and it looks awesome - your guests will be quite impressed! We went directly to summer here in Georgia, too, which has made it hard to get yard work done as I can't work in the bright sun/heat/humidity that we get here - I have to wait for clouds or go out real early or late. We were going to try raised beds this year, but ended up putting peppers and tomatoes in pots instead. Look forward to seeing what you do with your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your green thumb...mine is brown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you can make some nice salsa, Martina.

    Thank you, Linda. The nice thing about potting vegetables is that weed control is much easier.

    Ah Tim, I don't post photos of the plants that died ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next year you might try Sharpie's on plastic spoons, my Mom swears it works. KY went straight to summer as well and next year I too will try to kill (grow) vegetable plants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that idea, Jules. Plus, I always have extra plastic knives and spoons lying around. The forks seemed to be used much more quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The plants look amazing. Whatever late start you may have had does not show in these beauties.

    I have managed to kill my two house plants, but I think that has been a combination of lack of knowledge and neglect. Once I have moved and get settled in, I may take a stab at it again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, CM. Maybe the summer will drag on a bit long so the plants have a chance to flower and fruit, too!

    I have to admit the majority of my houseplants went through mass extinction last year. I was gone for months and when I returned I neglected them. Only a few extra-hardy plants made it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hola, Kobico!
    I can't wait until September when we will have a proper Summer. It is cold here in the Central Coast. I planted some tomatoes; they are doing okay, but I was expecting them to be nearly twice the size they actually are.
    Love the post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clementina! ¿Qué tal? Of course, after I posted this entry, the temperature dropped here, too. The weather is definitely wacky this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cold, wet and windy here too...you have my sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Earth Gipsy, you have mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Most impressed with your bean pole. I can't believe how I struggle with gardens here. Price to pay for living in the warmth. I, too, hate the cold. Amazed at how that temperature gauge has risen since moving to a warmer climate. Still battling my tomatoes. Have enjoyed about 7 this spring/summer thus far, but even though I planted early, the warmth - 90+ - arrived early and the blossoms are not setting. Probably need to pull them and save the water. See that we are both fans of picnic tables. Can fit many around them. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting, I didn't know there was such a thing as "too hot" in the US for tomatoes. I am a little afraid that many of my plants won't fruit this year just because I started a month or so later than normal, though. They are TEENY! I hope all is well with you too, Julie.

    ReplyDelete