20100401

Waiting for Spring to Arrive in Full Force

Usually by now, the rainy season is over and the temperatures have begun to rise, but this year, the skies have remained grey and the rain (here, and snow in the mountains) continues to fall.  I can't complain too much, since California is in perpetual drought.  A certain resident of Germany also reminded me that it never gets truly cold where I am, although I challenge him to come to San Francisco on a foggy night.  The air temperature is not as cold as Germany in winter, but the moisture in the air drives the chill into your body

All this said, we have had a few beautiful days so far, and being unemployed, I was able to be outside to take a few photos, when I haven't been toiling in the vegetable garden, in the house with spring cleaning, or at my father's reupholstering his sofa.  Since I've been completely uninspired with regard to blogging, I thought I'd share a few of these photos.

Ranunculus in a border in front of a house along Palm Avenue. 
This street has a lot of arts & crafts style homes, mostly California bungalows and Mission Revival.

A good example of one of the Bungalows on Palm Avenue.
It seems like any remodeling done has stayed pretty true to form.
Craftsman Perspective has information on the Arts & Crafts Movement
About.Com has some examples of common Arts & Crafts styles

Landscaping at the local public golf course. 
 

Left, a pond facing a fairway. 



Right, a nandina plant outside the restaurant.










I hope to have photos of my gardens and my father's sofa project up soon.  Maybe I will feel inspired to write something in connection with those photos...

7 comments:

  1. Love the photos, and look forward to seeing your garden and sofa and whatever other projects you come up with! We're in full spring and allergy mode here in Georgia, and by some fluke are in the 80s this week, but suspect we'll be back to more moderate 60s in another week. Hoping we don't get that late spring snow or hard frost as our one peach tree is in full bloom! How's that rose bush doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the bright side, the weather here seems to have delayed somewhat certain pollens. I lost two of my roses (a Queen Elizabeth and I think Fragrant Cloud) last year to ground compaction, Linda. The rest are inundated with weeds, right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you've got reupholstering skills too! I throw a sheet over the sofa and then try not to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking of a rose bush that someone talked you into severely pruning to rejuvenate it, but you had your doubts? And old fashioned? At least I thought it was you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't say my upholstering skills are good, Tim, but so far, most of my goof-ups have been in areas that are not generally exposed ... unless my dad decides to move the sofa to another spot!

    Hmm ... I don't remember that, Linda, although I could have just forgotten about it! I do prune the roses in January, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos, and I'm so happy you identfied the nandina bush - I've heard of it all my life, but had no idea what it looked like!

    Spring has finally arrived here in Tennessee and brought with it a better attitude and healing winds. Hope spring follows quickly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the best way to describe nandina is something that looks like a skinny, miniature bamboo with a reddish tinge to the leaves. I'm glad you're feeling better, Ethel.

    ReplyDelete