20100223

Transitional Season

The San Francisco Bay Area is in the midst of deciding whether spring should arrive or not.  Bone chilling storms during which I huddle by the fire cursing my leaky windows have been alternating with seductively mild days that entice me to leave my house without a jacket.


Last Monday was one of the pleasant days and by luck, a holiday here.  I hiked Mount Tamalpais wearing just a t-shirt over my hiking pants.  It is still early enough in the season to see waterfalls throughout the state's green spaces and the day was beautiful.  See the blue sky in the photo at left?




On Saturday I hiked at Castle Rock and the weather had turned again.  Drizzly, cold, low visibility.  I was chilled to the bone and wet to boot!  But I have to admit the mist does look quite dramatic.
After Castle Rock, we headed out to the coast to try to catch a glimpse of an elephant seal at Año Nuevo and almost ran into one sleeping on the beach (left).  I didn't notice the scratches on her back until I looked at the photos.  I hope she wasn't hurt!  Elephant seals may seem awkward, but they are fast and can be aggressive.  I admit I was too chicken to walk around to take a photo of her from the front.  Now that we got to see one seal, though, we hope to return to the preserve in the next few weeks before they return to sea.

And I hope to see the signs of spring popping out at me more frequently in the coming weeks.  I plan to take a little stroll to the nursery around the corner to ogle vegetable seeds and seedlings.  I cooked beets and chard and had radishes from the garden yesterday and I'm inspired to be more attentive to the garden this year.

17 comments:

  1. You really are active when you get the chance, aren't you! Beautiful area and photos. I thought at first that the seal was a bag of trash that someone left on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many things to say, where shall I begin? ;-)
    I really like the fog photo - even if I would not like the weather, though (a friend of mine is going to San Fransisco next week and constantly checking the forecasts because he hopes for spring weather there, ;-)).
    Like Wander to the Wayside I would not have known without your description what the seal photo is about ... yes, a bag of trash was my first impression, too. Really intriguing.
    Me? Waiting desperately for spring, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about active, but I do like to get outdoors and see what nature has to offer, Linda. She seems to do "breathtaking" very well!

    Martina, is your friend coming for work or fun? Feel free to give him my gmail address if he wants suggestions, it's kobico. Caveat: my German is horrible. He may want to write to me just for entertainment!

    The seal looked very much like a trash bag when we walked up on her, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. kobico, thank you - he is attending a conference and has been to San Francisco many times before. Anything you want from here?

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah, this commenting - of course I also wanted to say how nice your offer is --- sometimes my finger is too quick with "post comment" - I am sorry :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Winter came and laid
    it's soft blanket
    o'er the land

    Spring, refreshed from slumber
    pokes its head
    quietly through the sand

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's pretty, Tim, I can't wait to see what summer and autumn do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, these photos are so beautiful! Like a gift to your readers. 11 degrees here.

    I have been watching "Wild China" on Netflix. If you get the opportunity, I think you might enjoy it. BBC productions never fails! Nature has never looked more inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll definitely look for it, MAWB. China is on my "want to see before I kick it" list, and you're right, the BBC turns out quality programming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Weather in Scotland this time changes so quickly too, from nice to snow flurries overnight. The only thing guaranteed is that it'll be cold!I have to admit, I do love the misty pic!

    I reckon the seal was just having a kip. Must be nice to get so close to nature.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is something about mist in the trees, isn't there, Lena? It can be mysterious, romantic, creepy and nostalgic ... sometimes all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The elephant seal looks like its been sewn together. Our weather has been most odd as well. Dreary. Now today, just beautiful. Hope it remains so.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, at least she wasn't mistaken for a garbage bag, again! I hope spring is well on its way for you, too, Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The tree in the mist looks like a Chinese painting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Funny, I think it looks like a Japanese painting, but that's probably just my bias ;-p

    ReplyDelete