20091106

Spare a Penny for the Guy?

Guy waits for the inevitable.

I read an article yesterday mentioning that Guy Fawkes celebrations in Britain are down, mainly due to a shift in focus to Halloween...

http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSTRE5A43XE20091105

I felt for the Gunpowder Plot conspirator, whose life ended with several days of torture, hanging, and being cut up into pieces. Or at least for the 400+ year old tradition (longer if you consider the practice is based on even older autumn bonfire traditions) of burning his effigy and setting off fireworks every 5th of November. So when I woke up today, I decided to keep the tradition alive here in California, where it actually isn't a tradition!

Alas, there are ordinances in my city against open fires and fireworks, so Guy would burn in my fireplace. I raided my woodpile and grabbed dead leaves from my neighbor's dracaena to bind twig arms and legs onto a log body. I stuck a printed picture of Guy's face onto the body, which I doused in charcoal lighting fluid for good measure.  The result (above) looks more like the Burning Man than any effigy of Guy Fawkes I've seen, but my building skills have never been good and I had work to do, so that was as good as it would get. A bit embarrassed at my handiwork, Guy went straight into the fireplace, rather than being paraded down the street.
This Guy's on Fire!

Later in the evening, I set a match to the kindling underneath, and WHOOSH, the whole pile burst into flames and shot up Guy's body, as the lighter fluid in it combusted!  I grabbed my camera and tried to snap a photo while he still had a face, but it was too late.  His face was vaporized, his body completely engulfed (right).

Who knew the lighter fluid would catch so quickly? It's been sitting in my yard for years, is missing its stopper, and has been rained on.

This burning of the Guy is in honor of Lobo, who is English, but never partook in these juvenile pursuits when he was a pup.

18 comments:

  1. I love your sense of playfulness!
    We have a big celebration coming up this weekend in Tucson for El Dia de los Muertos (All Souls Day). It coincides with the celebration of same in Mexico. We're 65 miles north of the Mexican border, and the Day of the Dead celebration has become our Mardi Gras, with tens of thousands of people lining the streets to watch or participate in the parade this Sunday night. It's freaky, and I'll be posting some photos of it on Catnip, so...stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My housemate was a little worried I was going to light a fire in the yard and burn the house down!

    Yo buscaré las fotos de Dia de los Muertos en Catnip después de domingo. I am sure this is rife with errors ... sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't really take credit for it, since it's a centuries-old tradition, but it was kind of fun to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a centuries-old tradition to burn Guy Fawkes in one's fireplace? Where????

    >.->

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to build a Guy then burn him in the indoor fire place, no danger of setting fire to the whole district that way.
    We still make a guy and put him on a bonfire in NZ but much less often than when I was a child. We still have lots of fireworks wooshing and sparkling in the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems as though there is less in the way of home-made fun overall these days, Glennis, but fireworks are always fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we have a few lighter cans like that lying around. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pull out that barbecue! You can do a barbecued Guy and make s'mores at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. By the way, I should mention that I do not condone torture. Nor do I condone blowing up legislators, or killing the head of state and family members.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aha - this from the woman who said some six minutes before: "You can do a barbecued Guy" ...
    *bdg*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you added that disclaimer, because you seemed to take fiendish delight in doing old Guy F. in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Guys made of sticks I have no problem torturing, I'm only passively aggressive! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  13. What happened to your photo? I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was time for a change, Timoteo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I fully understand Timoteo - but I also fully understand you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Martina :)
    The other photo should make a comeback at some point. It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete