20091116

Fiction as Reality

«L'espace m'a happé dans ses contours sans fin.»
"Space has caught me in its endless contours."

- Mabrouck Rachedi -
Photo:  Ryder Park, San Mateo, California, October 2009

I have been re-reading "A Writer's Reality," Mario Vargas Llosa's autobiography, mainly an essay on his thought processes during the writing of his novels.  Llosa speaks of two types of fiction, ideological fiction, an inverse to objective reality, and literary fiction, the product of the writer.  As I ponder the former, I think that perhaps fiction and reality can be the same, changeable depending upon perspective.

correction:  objective reality and ideological fiction are not so much inverses as they are points of comparison.  Ideological fiction is what one perceives as seen through one's own ideologies.

In some cases, fact and fiction seem pretty clear.  Llosa marvels at how intellectuals (he limits his scope to those in Latin America) have contributed to  intolerance as he describes the civil war of Canudos, where soldiers of the newly formed republic of Brasíl, achieved through a joint effort by the military and intellectuals, crushed a rebellion in Canudos, a village in a remote area of Bahía.  The republic leaders assumed that exiled monarchists had conspired with the English to create the rebellion.  So strong was this belief that reporter Euclides da Cunha confirmed this belief from the front lines. Da Cunha truly believed that he saw blonde haired English officers among the rebels.

After every rebel had been slaughtered and every building in Canudos razed by the Brazilian army, it was discovered that, in fact, the rebels were entirely made up of a rag-tag band of illiterate peasants, stirred up into a frenzy by fanatical catholic priests to drive out those foreign invaders who must have come from the Devil himself.  The priests were anti-republic, but the peasants themselves had no knowledge of it.   Both sides had allowed their beliefs to filter what they saw.  So the members of the republic saw a conspiracy cooked up by the English and the old regime, and the peasants saw evil.  Da Cunha's book, "Os Sertões", is a "personal and national self-criticism" of this event.

I-beam, San Mateo, California, October 2009

But most situations are not so cut and dry, and the lines between fiction and reality are often blurry.  Proponents of different socio-economic systems claim their own system is the ideal and that others are flawed and/or evil.  They are all correct ... and they are all wrong.  All systems have strengths and weaknesses and the right fit for one group of people may not be the best for another.  Two fighting people each believe the other is the instigator.  Again, the way in which events unfolded can make both correct.  There seems no clear distinction between an idealized fiction and the truth with situations such as these, because either argument could be valid.

How do you feel?  Is the difference between fantasy and reality black and white, or are there shades of grey?

13 comments:

  1. The fantasy in the minds of those who put down the rebellion was the catalyst for the reality that occurred because of it--so we can say that fantasy and reality are often inextricably linked. Everything that is created, in a material sense, begins in someone's imagination--so reality is the end product of fantasy.
    Quantum physics shows us that what is observed has much to do with the observer, or in other words, we create our own reality...but then, you already knew that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The fantasy in the minds of those who put down the rebellion was the catalyst for the reality that occurred because of it"
    And the ideology of the priests was the catalyst for the reality of the rebellion.

    Have you read Os Sertões, Tim? Llosa did mention the title of the English translation, but I can't remember it offhand. Da Cunha's book inspired Llosa to write La Guerra del Fin del Mundo, The War of the End of the World, which I think is his only work that is not based in Peru.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely grey exists, in almost everything. Interesting tale of deception. I need to read this author. His definition of literary and ideological makes me think - inverse to objective reality. Hmmmm. Maybe I'm not so smart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, as I re-read the passage on these two forms of fiction, I find I had interpreted him incorrectly! It is not an inverse, so much as a comparison to objective reality ... I think!

    I am assuming there are more than just these two kinds of fiction. He introduced them in his description of Historia de Mayta, The Real Story of Alejandro Mayta. The vast majority of those who read it (including myself) interpreted it as a political work, but his original intent was to write a work in which literary and ideological fiction meld. If you read it, it would be interesting to find out what you glean from it!

    Llosa is part of a group of writers (including Borges and Márques) who brought notoriety to Latin American literature. If you like his work, it might be interesting for you to look into theirs, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always dreamed in color, so its more like muted purples and blues and yellows and reds and greens. A blurry kaleidoscope of fantasy and reality. I'm with Timoteo..... it's all in the mind of the observer. Or maybe, I just did too many drugs in the 60s!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky you. I have only remembered 3 dreams my whole life. One involved my ex fiancé from 20 years ago and giggling geishas, one a couple years ago involved sex with a co-worker I can't stand, and the last was one I had a few weeks ago -- one of my friends was in some kind of danger and I had grabbed his hand and was running with him, dragging him along (although in real life, I suspect he's faster than I am). I can't remember if they were in color or not, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would love to hear more about the giggling geishas...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately, Timoteo, the most exciting part of the dream (or at least what I remember of it) is the alliteration of giggling geishas (or perhaps the thought of seeing geishas giggle, since they are typically pretty serious).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll have to brush up on my Llosa, right after I brush up up on my Dr. Seuss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kobico, thanks for stopping by. Can't find an email address for you, though. Glad I've found your blog, although you are WAY over my head!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny you should mention Seuss, Tim. I went to school in Springfield, MA, where he lived (not while he was alive, though).

    Thanks for the visit, Lawyer Mom. I think this is not so much over the head as much as it is incoherent babbling. I'm an insomniac and most of what's on this page was a late night attempt to stop thinking so much about work. I did just take over your last blog entry with my last comment there, so I don't know how much you'll be thanking me after tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Incoherent babbling? well, ok...at least that explains your blog title! (But look at how cute and mischievously I'm grinning...you can't hit someone that adorable!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know, I just finished watching Fight Club while reading a section about power issues in a group theory book. I might just be disoriented enough.

    ReplyDelete