20130317

A Happy Place

Days are lengthening as the northern hemisphere is nearly midway in its tilt toward the sun. Sunnier days and warmer temperatures encourage this middle-aged gal, whose thoughts have turned to ... income taxes. Yes, this middle-aged gal is boring. And yes, it's tax season here in the US, so work has ramped up in the accounting office. I'm not normally a tax person, but everyone in the office does some kind of tax work from January through April. I could thank Congress for a tax code that is convoluted and changes from year to year for the extra work, but really wish that work were spread out a bit more evenly through the year!

The gardens are currently full of weeds. Granted, that's nothing new, although one of my friends visited last spring and weeded the front yard for me. Friends are, indeed, a good thing. The chard is still everywhere, and the artichoke plants are large and lush. A few fava bean plants have poked their way out of the ground, and a San Marzano tomato seedling is already in-ground. That's one of the favas, with the ubiquitous chard in the background. Hopefully, it will overshoot the chard soon.


We put out a little table under the wisteria and added a few potted plants (that little sago palm is the only survivor of about ten babies I propagated from the mother tree). This spot gets nice morning sun, making it a pleasant place to sit while injecting our coffee in the morning. We're also thinking about installing a flower box in that window to the left and moving the table farther to the right. In a few weeks when the wisteria blooms, it should be an even nicer spot to contemplate the world, although maybe not so great for meals with falling petals and buzzing bees.


There are a lot of day-off projects to do this year, but for now, it's nice to have this little spot for relaxing.

15 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful spot! I ache for green things... And I can't wait to see the blue of water again. Hurry, spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never fear, spring is near(ing) the US/Canada border!

      Delete
  2. Artichokes! My favorite. They have them here in the grocery but they aren't the same. They don't grow well so are all imports from the other coast and just don't taste the same.

    What a nice place you have, Rei.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but everything outside of the frame is a disaster area, plus I've had to put up "stay out, Piglette" barriers around my plants salvaged from miscellaneous objects, so it's all kind of a hodgepodge.

      Delete
  3. I love that you are able to have a garden this early. Thanks for your description and pictures. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The downside to a moderate climate is that weeds are a year-round problem. I don't spray chemicals to control them, either, so weeding is a completely manual process for me. And I have to admit that the green grass in the background is actually choking out the ground cover I planted last year :)

      Delete
  4. We won't talk about how many times I've planted thyme as a ground cover just to have it choked out by the grasses and other [plantain/dandelions]groups of local greenery. There are other ground covers...but I Want Thyme! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had problems with thyme, too! Except I think it had more to do with my laziness when it comes to watering, because the creeping thyme in the front, which is on the automatic drip system, is fine. Hey, all the books say it's drought-tolerant :)

      Delete
    2. I know! That's why I planted it__well, that and I like to cook with it and look at it. It's such a pretty little plant and the bees love it when it flowers.

      Delete
    3. I like cooking with it, too, although not so much since I've been trying to grow it, because I stopped buying it thinking I'd have all this thyme from the garden -- ha!

      Delete
  5. Such patient hands to do gardening... AND taxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The taxes are a paid gig. The gardening is de-stressing :)

      Delete
  6. Did you say you have weed in your garden? They want to tax that, too. Hope you get all the deductions right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch your rear-end, Walter, or they'll tax that, too :)

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete