20091007

Passion

This past spring, I bought a book from a young author while browsing through a book fair in Metz. At the time, he mentioned the possibility of attending a workshop in Iowa this summer.  By chance, I asked him last week if he had attended the workshop.  He told me that he had, indeed, made it to Iowa, was in fact, still there, and would be making a side trip to San Francisco the next day.  He would have one day free, during which we planned to pass some time together.

Early (for me) last Friday morning, I hopped into my midlife crisis convertible and drove up to Union Square. I parked, walked down the street and saw the Saint Francis, and the Sir Francis Drake hotels ... and realized that all I remembered about his hotel was that "Francis" was one of the words in it!  I sort of recalled when I first found out where he was staying that I pictured a beefeater-style doorman, so I took a chance on Sir Francis.  Luckily, my recollection was correct!  A minute or two after I sat down in the lobby, Mabrouck walked out.


This spider was obviously on acid.  Sutro Baths, San Francisco.

Mabrouck is fascinating.  He gave up the (relative) security of a  career in finance to pursue his passion as a writer.  He didn't just continue his day job while he wrote in his spare time, he completely quit his job to write.  He has since published one essay and two novels, one of which was in the works for filming when budget cuts in French public television ended production.

I'm in the process of reading his second novel, le Petit Malik.  It is a funny story about a boy growing up in a banlieu, but there are also bittersweet elements to it.  Mabrouck himself grew up in a banlieu (the French equivalent of an American inner city area, except they tend to be on the outskirts of the city -- the term can be confusing, because the literal translation is suburb), and when his first novel, le Poids d'une Âme (the Weight of a Soul) was published, he was asked if someone had ghost written the book for him.  Ouch!  I can say that in my communications with him that he is well-spoken, well-written and sharp as a tack.  Plus, he not only understands, but puts up with, my horrible French.

Above:  a long exposure on the dish of the Giant Camera Obscura, a giant pinhole camera.
The camera sports a rotating lens that gives a 360 degree view of the area.
The image is projected onto a concave dish. 

I am always in awe of people who are so focused, so sure of what they want.  My best friend in Metz was similarly captivated by his work.  He had dropped out of University to work to support his family when his daughter was born and began working as a vendor, traveling to the braderies around northern France.  I asked if he planned to return to the University.  He said no, that he had found happiness in what he was doing.  And there was a contentment in his stature, a certain indescribable fire in his eyes when he was spinning his pitch.  On the Saturdays he worked the braderie in Metz, I would pass by just to watch him work.  To watch someone with such ardor for what he or she does is intoxicating to the observer as well.

I do not recall ever being so enraptured by my work or hobbies.  Most of my decisions have been logic-driven, rather than those of the heart.  Perhaps that is one reason why I am so fascinated by people with such strong passion.

 Above:  sunset over the Pacific Ocean, Ocean Beach, San Francisco


EDIT:  I spelled Mabrouck's last name wrong in my comment.  It is Rachedi, not Rached.
His blog address ...
http://www.metrofrance.com/MTE_CP/blogs/nouvelleracaillefrancaise/

14 comments:

  1. a) the spider on dope spider web photo is so nice :-)
    b) now I would have another author on my wishlist, sounds very very interesting, but with my horrible French ... . That's what Murakami did too, didn't he? Giving up everything because one day, sitting in a stadium watching a soccer game I think I recall, he decided he wanted to be a writer.
    c) me neither.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Follow your head and the outcome likely will be predictable. Follow your heart and there's no telling WHAT you might find.
    (Very nice photos!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a difficult time with French idioms and slang, too, Martina, and my vocabulary is not very extensive . I have to refer to my dictionary often, but his writing style has a nice rhythm to it (or maybe it's just the way I read in French). By the way, his full name is Mabrouck Rached and you can get a taste of his writing on his blog ...

    http://www.metrofrance.com/MTE_CP/blogs/nouvelleracaillefrancaise/

    Sometimes, Timoteo, outcomes aren't as predictable as one would hope when following one's head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and thanks regarding the photos. I'm not much of a writer, but my memory is stimulated by images, so I tend to keep photos and occasionally quick sketches of happenings in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kobico, my French is on Tintin level ... so .... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I looked at Mabrouck's blog and...it's all in French. (I'll bet you knew that.) Will you teach me how to read it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tintin's a good start, Martina. He has a cute dog!

    Timoteo, the quickest way to get the gist is to select the text, copy and paste it into a free online translator (like google translate)!

    But my general approach for latin and germanic based languages is to try to get an idea for general grammatical syntax, learn to recognize subject and object pronouns and the stems and conjugation rules for common verbs (interestingly, be, have and make/do seem to be irregular in more than a few languages).

    When reading, I first skim a paragraph for gist (similar words from language to language often have similar meaning), then pick out critical words I don't know and plunk them into a dictionary, like wordreference.com for french/spanish/english or pons.eu for german/english. If you come upon a noun/adjective/conjunction (not necessarily in that order) phrase that makes vague sense translated literally, it's probably an idiom. Scroll down to the compound uses or forums in the dictionary and you might find it!

    Now that I've completely confused you, my job is done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW...I thought you'd just give me some flippant answer. You cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Obviously you do not read in bed ... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't recommend that method for reading long novels, Timoteo, but it works well for getting the gist of short articles.

    I have my little laptop on a stand next to my bed, Martina!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're blog is much better written than Rachedi's one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, mom! Oh wait, my mom passed away years ago. Thanks, Mabrouck. I'll be waiting for my autographed copy of your third novel when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm brushing up on my pig-latin...that should help.

    ReplyDelete